Are you ready for a little simpler fare, after an abundant holiday season? Take a look at this easy soup below. Make a big pot, feast on it throughout the week or freeze it for those days when you are in a hurry and need something nutritious, filling and yummy FAST!
Makes 4-6 servings
1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 large head of escarole, washed, trimmed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 15 oz cans of cannellini beans, no-salt–added, drained & rinsed
1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
2 plus cups of vegetable broth, homemade or low-sodium store bought
1 ½ Tbsps. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat a large soup pot to medium-high, add the onions and dry saute, stirring frequently, until slightly starting to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, rosemary, thyme and hot pepper flakes and saute for another minute. Deglaze with a little bit of vegetable broth.
- Add the escarole, and saute for another 5-7 minutes, until escarole has slightly wilted. Escarole will give off a bit of liquid.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth and apple cider vinegar and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Check, if you need to add in more liquid. This makes a fairly thick soup.
- Stir in the mustard and freshly ground pepper.