I admit it, this recipe happened by accident. I was roasting some grape tomatoes for an appetizer, and kind of forgot about them. When I remembered, they looked quite dark and soft and juicy. Not only had I roasted them longer than I intended, I had also used a bit too much balsamic vinegar. Not a problem! Make tomato jam instead. This jam gives a nice balance to savory dishes instead of ketchup, and it’s been praised by plant-based eaters and omnivores alike!
Makes approx. 1 cup
1 box of sweet grape or cherry tomatoes, approx. 2 generous cups
¾ cup balsamic vinegar, or enough to cover tomatoes halfway
- Heat oven to 400 F
- Add grape tomatoes to an 8 x 8 baking pan. Tomatoes need to be in one layer, tightly together, but not overlapping.
- Add plenty of balsamic vinegar, to cover tomatoes halfway.
- Roast for about 40 minutes (or more, depending on oven), until tomatoes are quite dark and soft and vinegar has been reduced.
- Drain off the excess vinegar into a small saucepan and reduce vinegar by 75%, then add back into the roasting pan and combine with the tomatoes.
- Use a fork to stir and break up the tomatoes, until they resemble a course jam.
Jam will thicken slightly as it cools.