This quinoa bowl has great texture and delivers major flavor. The corn, red pepper, carrots and jicama give it a hint of sweetness, the cornichons and the olives add a touch of salty to this recipe. If you like a bit of crunch and bite, this bowl does not disappoint. Kick up the heat to your liking by adjusting the amount of tabasco used.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
1 cup red quinoa (dry), rinsed well
½ cup of cornichons, finely chopped
1/3 to ½ cup of kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
½ cup of scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
½ cup of shredded carrots
½ cup (1/2 pepper) red pepper, chopped
½ cup of jicama, julienned, ¾” strips
1 cup of frozen sweet corn, thawed
juice and zest of 1 lime
several dashes of tabasco, to taste
- Cook quinoa = see notes below
- Add quinoa to a medium bowl and let cool
- Add lime juice & zest and tabasco, stir to combine
- Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine
- Adjust seasonings, tabasco will intensify as flavors meld together. Start with very few dashes and then increase!
- Let rest before serving. Enjoy!
Cooking quinoa on the stove top:
Combine quinoa and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, stir and reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for about 15 to 18 minutes
Cooking quinoa in the electric pressure cooker:
Add quinoa and 1 ½ cups water. Set to 1 minute on manual. 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release.
The longer you let this dish rest, the better it taste. Great also the next day.