This recipe includes everything that the non-plant-based version has to offer: pickles, onions, creaminess and, yes, of course, deliciousness! Instead of a vegan mayonnaise, I made a “dressing” out of artichokes, mustard and lemon juice; which is a fantastic low-fat alternative. This may become a new salad favorite! Try it on whole grain bread, celery sticks or wrapped in a lettuce “bun”. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time :0
1 can of chickpeas, no-salt added, BPA-free liner, drained & rinsed
2 Tbsp. red onion, finely minced
¼ cup cornichons, finely chopped
¼ cup celery, finely chopped
2 tsp. kelp flakes
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 14 oz can whole artichoke hearts, in water, drained, cut in half
1 Tbsp.Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Add chickpeas to a food processor
- Pulse 6-9 times to break up chickpeas; be careful not to over process; chickpeas should have a coarse texture
- Add chick peas to a medium bowl
- Add red onions, cornichons, kelp flakes and pepper
- Gently fold to combine all ingredients
- Add artichoke hearts to food processor with mustard and lemon juice.
- Process until nice and creamy
- Fold artichoke “dressing” into chickpea mixture. Adjust seasonings. Enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Toni Fiore’s Tunno Sandwiches http://www.pressherald.com/2014/06/11/toni-fiores-tunno-sandwiches/