This dish is the result of almost all left overs. I had roasted butternut squash, cooked farro and steamed kale on hand. With the addition of tomato sauce, sautéed onions and zucchini, I was able to turn these ingredients into a delicious casserole for two (or 2 servings for one) in no time. Below are approximate amounts, adjust to your needs.
1/2 cup cooked farro
1 cup roasted butternut squash, cubed
1/2 cup steamed kale
1 small – medium onion, halved and sliced thinly into half moons
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
hot pepper flakes, to taste
4 small zucchini (16 oz.), halved and then sliced cross wise into half moons
a dash of dried thyme
fresh black pepper to taste
1 cup tomato sauce, store-bought or homemade (https://nourishyourselfnow.com/2016/10/22/chunky-to)
Preheat oven to 375 F
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high heat.
- Dry sauté onions until they start to brown nicely. Deglaze with a little water to loosen up all the brown bits from bottom of pan. Approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and hot pepper flakes and sauté for another minute or two.
- Add zucchini and thyme and sauté until nicely softened, approx. 4-5 minutes. Add fresh pepper to taste.
- Take off heat and let cool enough, until you are able to handle the mixture.
- Cover the bottom of 6×9 baking dish with tomato sauce.
- Layer zucchini mixture, farro and squash.
- Add a little more tomato sauce, more zucchini mixture and kale.
- Spread tomato sauce as last layer.
- Bake at 375 F for about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Adjust quantities to suit your serving needs.
I used a thick home made sauce (left over) and a store bought one for my dish. Engine 2 makes a sauce that is sugar free, oil free and very low in salt. It comes in 2 flavors. Good one to have on hand.
To cut down on prep time, Trader Joe’s offers a 10-minute farro and sells pre-cut butternut squash.