I call this dish a bowl, because you can practically eat it with a fork! Yum! If you are lucky to own an Instant Pot, this recipe will come together in no time, but even on the stove top it doesn’t take much time either. I had shiitake mushrooms on hand, but use your favorites. Farro and cannellini beans, tomatoes and rosemary and thyme will pull the flavors together. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 8 minutes ( Instant Pot)
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/8 – 1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes (I used 1/4 tsp.)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tsp. each dried rosemary and thyme
1 14.5 oz can of chopped tomatoes, no-salt added
1 15 oz. can or carton cannellini beans, no-salt added, drained & rinsed
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup 10-minute farro
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, home-made or store-bought (double if you like a soupier stew)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
Fresh pepper to taste
- turn on sauté function of the Instant Pot.
- add onions, garlic, mushrooms and hot pepper flakes.
- sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add a little water, if vegetables start to stick to the bottom.
- add remaining ingredients, except for mustard.
- close the lid and set release valve to sealing position.
- push manual button and adjust to 8 minutes.
- when time is up, do a 10-minute Natural Pressure Release or let pressure come down naturally.
- stir in 1 tbsp. of Dijon Mustard or more to taste.
I used a 10-minute farro from Trader Joe’s.
If you are in a real hurry, skip the sautéing and just load up your Instant Pot.
If you do not have an Instant Pot, heat a medium pot to medium high heat. Sauté onions, mushrooms, garlic and hot pepper flakes for 5-6 minutes. Add a little water, if vegetables start to stick to the bottom of the pot. Add all remaining ingredients, except Dijon mustard. You may need to increase your amount of broth, depending on how thick you like your stew. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, add lid and simmer on medium-low heat for approx. 10-15 minutes, until farro is fully cooked. Check occasionally that nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot. Stir in Dijon mustard. Enjoy!
(Disclosure: I do not receive any compensation whatsoever for endorsing this appliance.)